"Speak, O Lord, for your servant is listening." — 1 Samuel 3:9
learn the art of discernment
Samuel Group is open to young adults ages 20-30 (juniors and older) who seriously desire to discern God's will for their lives. This program provides the tools for how to discern properly with peace, joy, and confidence. Through a journey of prayer, spiritual direction, self-knowledge, and purification, participants can grow in interior freedom in order to discover what they are truly made for and how to embrace God's call in every stage of life. See below for detailed description, dates, payment info and FAQ's.
The Three-Fold Goal of Samuel Group:
- to know oneself
- to know Jesus
- to know one's role in the Church and in the world
These are attained through Prayer, Spiritual Direction, and Interior Discernment through three main aspects of meditation, purification, and scrutiny:
- Meditation involves daily reflection on the Word of God and spiritual writings.
- Purification is the process of detachment from sin, wrongful inclinations, selfish affections, and illusions.
- Scrutiny involves spiritual direction and self-reflection on the interior movements of the soul where Jesus speaks to us.
Structure of the Program:
- Six meetings throughout the year, rough on Sunday afternoon (typically 12:30-3:30 pm)
- Each meeting involves a brief social period, a guided meditation, an hour of Eucharistic Adoration (with the sacrament of Confession available), a purification talk, small group sharing, and "spiritual homework" for the upcoming month.
- Throughout the month the students should meet at least once with their personal spiritual director, develop a regular schedule of prayer, and abide by the guidelines of Samuel Group.
Samuel Group is open to all young adults ages 20-30 (junior standing or higher) who:
- Have at least a minimal prayer life,
- Wish to seriously discern the will of God in their life, and
- Have a spiritual director (or find one to begin the program)
Meeting Dates (12:30pm - 3:30pm unless otherwise indicated)
- Sunday, September 30, 2018 (12 - 4 pm, lunch included)
- Sunday, October 28, 2018
- Sunday, December 2, 2018
- Sunday, January 27, 2019
- Sunday, February 24, 2019 (10 am - 4 pm, lunch included)
- Sunday, March 24, 2019
Cost: $30 for KU students / $35 for non-KU participants
Please contact us at: